The Office of the Commonwealth’s Attorney is charged primarily with the prosecution of crime. This office prosecutes criminal matters in the Winchester General District Court, criminal and delinquency matters in the Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court, and all felony cases in the Winchester Circuit Court. The Commonwealth’s Attorney is a Constitutional Officer of the Commonwealth of Virginia. As such, he is not an officer or employee of the City from which he was elected. In this jurisdiction, the Commonwealth’s Attorney is elected by voters of the City of Winchester.
strategic plan goals
Goals (Strategic Plan Goal 3):
• To prosecute all criminal cases in the City of Winchester including all felony cases occurring in the City of Winchester for which sufficient evidence is available to support charges.
• Improve the quality of life in Winchester by coordinating law enforcement efforts with citizens throughout the city.
• Fully provide protection to the citizens of Winchester by prosecuting criminal offenses of the law.
• Assist law enforcement by providing assistance and legal advice when obtaining charges against defendants.
• Work together with local committees to better serve the victims of crime, especially in sexual assault against women and children.