PROJECT TITLE: Tower Ladder Truck
DEPARTMENT: Fire and Rescue
BUDGET CODE: 312-3211-432.82-05
JUSTIFICATION: Improves existing service
START DATE (FY): 2026
END DATE (FY): 2026
Our current reserve ladder truck is a 1998 Pierce 75' aerial ladder truck. According to the City’s public safety vehicle replacement guidelines, it has more than doubled its life expectancy and the City has several buildings that exceed the maximum reach for this truck. In addition, housing setbacks from the street in many areas are greater than the reach of this truck. Moreover, the 1998 Pierce has significant corrosion concerns which have created issues the past few years and getting it to pass the NFPA 1901 Standard Testing for Fire Department Aerial Devices. The department seeks to replace this unit with a 100' Tower Ladder.
RELATIONSHIP TO STRATEGIC PLAN:
Goal 5 - Support the City's high-performing operations with effective communication, innovation, and sound fiscal policies.
PROJECT OBJECTIVES / STATUS:
1. Replace aging apparatus that has significant corrosion issues of key structural components.
2. The versatility of a tower ladder will enhance operational effectiveness.
3. Ensure that aerial ladders have similar reach capabilities to accommodate building height and setbacks.
4. Provide a safe platform for firefighters to work from and for victim rescue.
5. Enhance technical rescue capabilities.
Note: Reference period 2022-23 includes all prior years and 2028-29 includes all future years.
Future operating costs to be determined.