General Government Overview
Fiscal Year 2022/23
The General Government category contains program budgets that are not associated with any specific department. Its programs are General Expense, Debt Repayments, and Contracts for Services or Funding Support.
The following programs are included in this department:
Staffing By Program
Budget By Program
Budget By Expense Category
Budget By Funding Source
The adopted budget for Fiscal Year 2022/23 of $307,754,280 reflects an increase of $17,173,370 from the Fiscal Year 2021/22 Adopted Budget. Major changes include the following:
• Increase in supplemental budget by $20,000,000
• Increase in City's investment in public safety by $18,000,000
• Increase in fuel and revenue contingency by $17,901,750
• Increase in miscellaneous costs* by $13,927,480
• Increase in City's employee compensation by $9,579,570
• Decrease in payment to outside agencies mainly due to completion of agreement
with AHCCCS and Pima Animal Care Center by $3,694,270
• Decrease in general expenses** by $5,098,540
• Decrease in debt service obligations by $12,777,590
• Decrease in unassigned policy reserve by $40,665,210
*The miscellaneous items include major programs like ADA renovations; Art, History, Heritage and Culture; Collector Street; Community Safety, Beautification and Entryways; free Tucson transits; maintenance for facilities, information technology system and parks and recreations centers; funding for Transit Capital; Tucson Convention Center improvements; and non-public safety Vehicle maintenance and replacement.
**Decrease in general expenses mainly due to lower cost for business incentives and jail boarding and terminated fee payment to ADOR.
Increase in community engagement project costs and policy contingency reserve capacity in accordance with Mayor and Council’s budget priorities.
Renewed contracts with local organizations to enhance the department's commitment and service to the community.
Continue to support the City’s needs through oversight of non-departmental projects, renewal and execution of various intergovernmental agreements and financial participation agreements, as well providing oversight over the City’s debt obligations.