Department Finance Information
DEPARTMENT WEBSITE: https://www.tampa.gov/city-attorney
VISION AND MISSION:
In accordance with the City Charter, the Office of the City Attorney provides all legal services required by the Mayor, City Council and the various departments, boards, committees and officers of the City of Tampa. These legal services include representing the City in litigation, drafting City ordinances, negotiating agreements and contracts on behalf of the City, and providing legal advice to the Mayor, City Council, and the various departments, boards, committees and officers of the City. By providing these legal services in an effective and efficient manner, the vision and mission of the Office of City Attorney is to assist the City in providing municipal services and programs, and achieving the strategic goals of the City and the Mayor, thereby improving the quality of life of the citizens and residents of the City of Tampa.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES:
- Provide quality legal services to the Mayor, City Council and the various departments, boards, committees and officers of the City;
- Exhibit professionalism in the conduct of the work of the office by all its members;
- Communicate effectively with the Mayor, City Council and all other client departments, boards and officers, and with all colleagues and the public;
- Be solution oriented in resolving legal issues and problems;
- Vigorously represent and defend the City in all matters including administrative hearings, litigation and appeals;
- Provide quality legal services in a cost effective manner; and
- Assist in the enforcement of the laws of the City including the City code enforcement liens and the collection of amounts owed to the City.
CURRENT OPERATIONS AND INITIATIVES:
- Improving the organization of and services provided by the office through the development and use of practice groups and practice group leaders;
- Implementing an improved method of analyzing and resolving claims made against in the City in litigation;
- Reviewing and improving collection efforts in connection with City liens and other amounts owed to the City;
- Developing a comprehensive request for proposals or qualifications for outside counsel in specialty areas of the law or as may be needed in unique circumstances; and
- Providing legal support for the Mayor's T3 (Transforming Tampa's Tomorrow) Initiatives.
Operating Budget Analysis
Revenues earned by this General Fund department do not fully fund the department’s operations. General revenues provide all funding. Revenues decreased from Revised FY2021 due to transfer of title search contract and associated revenue collections to Neighborhood and Community Affairs Administrator.
Personnel Expenses decrease from Revised FY2021 is due to increases in salaries, pension contributions, and healthcare costs being offset by a reduction of two positions. Operating Expenses decreased from Revised FY2021 due to transfer of title search contractual costs to Neighborhood and Community Affairs Administrator.