Goal 1: Advance the City of Tallahassee as a competitive, innovative and sustainable regional economic hub.
Status: On Track
With a Gross Domestic Product (GDP) of $16.60 billion, Tallahassee has one of the fastest-growing economies in Florida. Through coordination and cooperation with multiple stakeholders, the economic development efforts of the City of Tallahassee have advanced local business.
1. Percent of households in city limits with broadband internet (25 Mbps) coverage. Target: 99%
1. Technology & Innovation. Last updated: November 2021.
2. Number of brownfield areas assessed, remediated, or redeveloped within the South Monroe corridor. Target: 20
2. Environmental Services. Last updated: November 2022.
3. Number of electric vehicle (EV) charging stations installed in utility customers’ homes. Target: 500
3. Electric & Gas Department. Last updated: December 2022.
4. Miles of aging wastewater pipes upgraded annually. Target: 5.5
4. Underground Utilities and Public Infrastructure. Last updated: October 2022.
5. Complete construction of Customs Facility at Tallahassee International Airport by 2024.
5. Aviation. Last updated: October 2022.
6. Invest $25 million through 2024 in stormwater capacity enhancements to improve water quality, and mitigate flooding, in the urban service area.
6. Underground Utilities and Public Infrastructure.Last updated: August 2022.
1. Percent employment in Targeted Industries. Target: 60% by 2024
1. Targeted industries are (1) Applied Science and Innovation, (2) Manufacturing and Transportation/Logistics, (3) Professional Services and Information, and (4) Health Care. Data display total employment in targeted industries. FY22 data reflects January-September numbers. Source: Florida Department of Economic Opportunity. As of Q4 2022, targeted industries represented 37.1% of overall employment in Tallahassee. Office of Economic Vitality. Last Updated: October 2022.
2. Number of jobs added to the economy annually. Target: 2,500
2. Data displays the annual average of jobs added to the economy. Source: Florida Department of Economic Opportunity. The 2022 data represents January-November numbers. Office of Economic Vitality. Last Updated: January 2023.
3. Gross Domestic Product of the Tallahassee Metropolitan Statistical Area. Target: $15 billion
3. Source: U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA). Office of Economic Vitality. Last Updated: December 2022.
4. Rate of unemployment. Target: below the State average
4. The blue line represents City of Tallahassee average unemployment, and the yellow line represents the statewide average unemployment. Source: Florida Department of Economic Opportunity. The 2022 data represents the January-November average. Office of Economic Vitality. Last Updated: January 2023.
5. Total annual exports from the Tallahassee Metropolitan Statistical Area. Target: $350 million
5. Current dollars, not adjusted for inflation. Source: U.S. Department of Commerce, International Trade Administration, Office of Trade and Economic Analysis (OTEA). Office of Economic Vitality. Last Updated: December 2022.
1. Dollar value of Tallahassee International Airport's economic impact. Target: $1 billion
1. Source: 2019 FDOT Statewide Aviation Economic Impact Study, updated every 5 years. Aviation. Last Updated: March 2020.
2. Annual total passenger traffic (enplanements and deplanements). Target: 1 million
2. Aviation. FY2022 reflects January - December data. Last Updated: January 2023.
3. Annual total cargo (enplaned and deplaned). Target: 22 million pounds
3. Aviation. FY2022 reflects January - December data. Last Updated: January 2023.
4. Acres of land leased near Tallahassee International Airport. Target: 100 additional acres
4. Data displayed cumulatively. Aviation. FY22 data reflects a reduction from previous year due to lease area updates and changes. Currently, there are 100+ additional acres under negotiation. Last Updated: October 2022.