Board of Supervisors' Established Policy for Fund Balance
The County shall maintain an unassigned fund balance of no less than 12% of annual general fund revenues, not including transfers, reserves, and grants.
Any amount over the minimum unassigned fund balance will be assigned to these reserves, according to the following hierarchy and formulas:
- Revenue Stabilization Reserve (RSR): minimum 2% of General Fund revenues.
- Capital Projects Reserve of $1,500,000 will be used to reduce reliance on debt, provide cash flow for capital projects, and pay down high-interest debt when advantageous.
- Stafford Opportunity Fund Reserve: $500,000
- Any health care savings, after all, expenditure and reserve needs have been met, will be set aside for a contribution to OPEB.
- Rollback Tax Revenue will be dedicated to the County’s Purchase of Development Rights and land conservation programs. Local PDR funds will be used to match other funding sources at a rate of no more than 50% local dollars.
- The County will maintain at minimum a $300k reserve for expenditures for the Children’s Services Act (CSA) program. In any year, when CSA costs for private day school expenditures exceed the budget, 20% of the total overage amount may be funded by utilizing the CSA reserve. At the end of a fiscal year, if the County has used the reserve for overages, the reserve will be replenished in the amount of 20% of the overage equally from unspent funds in both the County and the Schools' budget. When CSA costs for private day school expenditures are below the budget, 20% of the savings will increase the reserve. The balance will be equally divided between the County and Schools' Capital Project Reserves.
- Any remaining monies available after the above reserve minimums are fully funded will go to the Capital Projects Reserve.
- Schools' capital project reserve of $1,500,000 will be used to reduce reliance on debt, provide cash flow for capital projects, and pay down high-interest debt when advantageous. Funds above the minimum level may be added to the reserve from unspent school funds.