The Stafford County Board of Supervisors (BOS) will provide excellent and efficient government services that promote a safe, healthy and prosperous community through responsible and accountable government. The BOS’s strategic priorities include Healthy Growth, Quality Educational Opportunities, Organizational Excellence, Responsive Transportation System, A Vibrant and Exciting Business Community, Dedicated and Responsive Public Safety Team, and the Heartbeat of Recreation, History and Culture.
Who Are We?
- The BOS is the Legislative Branch of local government.
- The BOS is responsible for the adoption of the County budget and appropriation of funds; levying County taxes; appointment of members to various authorities, boards, commissions and committees; constructing and maintaining County buildings; adopting the County’s Comprehensive Plan; approving and enforcing related ordinances; and adopting and enforcing ordinances for law enforcement, sanitation, health and other regulations permitted by state law.
Executive Management & Leadership
- The BOS, consisting of seven members elected by district to serve staggered terms, exercises all legislative authority and responsibility granted to them by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
- The Chairman and Vice-Chairman of the BOS are elected annually by the members of the BOS.
Citizen Information/Community Awareness
- Regular meetings are held in the BOS chambers, located on the ground floor of the George L. Gordon Government Center, on the first and third Tuesday during the months of January – June and September – November. During July and August, the Board takes a summer recess. One meeting is held on the first Tuesday in July and one is held on the third Tuesday in August. In November, the first meeting is held on Wednesday because it falls on Election Day. In December, the first Tuesday is earmarked to hold an event that recognizes Boards, Authorities, Committees, and Commissions members and a meeting is held on the third Tuesday. All BOS meetings are open to the public.
- Increase for audit contract
- Increase to budget for public notification
- Additional funding for seminars & conferences
- Increase to legislative consultant contract
- Additional funds for BACC Holiday Event
- Increase to cyclical replacement of computers
- Continue to promote a safe, healthy and prosperous community through responsible and accountable government by working to meet the BOS’s strategic priorities for the community, which include Healthy Growth, Quality Educational Opportunities, Organizational Excellence, Responsive Transportation System, A Vibrant and Exciting Business Community, Dedicated and Responsive Public Safety Team, and the Heartbeat of Recreation, History and Culture (Service levels 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7)
- Enhance Public Safety by consideration of the proposed staffing plan for the Sheriff’s Office and Fire and Rescue (Service level 1)
- Demonstrate fiscal responsibility with balanced County and School budgets and maintaining the County’s AAA bond rating with all rating agencies (Service levels 4, 5, and 6)
- Constituent & Legislative Officer engages staff, outside vendors/businesses/VDOT, etc. to address constituent inquiries presented to the BOS (Service level 7)
- Establish and implement policies that maintain a high quality of life for County residents and visitors (Service levels 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7)