The County Attorney’s Office provides adaptive and creative legal solutions, and leads with integrity.
Who Are We?
- We represent the Board of Supervisors
- We represent the County and County staff, and to a lesser extent, Constitutional Officers and their staffs
Who We Advise
- The Board of Supervisors
- County Administrator
- County departments and staff
- Constitutional Officers and their staffs
- Boards, Commissions, Committees, and Subcommittees created, and members appointed by the Board of Supervisors
Our Core Functions
- Aid in the interpretation of federal, state, and County laws, ordinances, resolutions, and regulations
- Support the enforcement of the County Code and County ordinances, resolutions, regulations, policies, and decisions
- Provide representation in both state and federal courts, and before state and federal administrative departments and agencies
- Give high-quality and timely legal counsel, representation, and advice
- Draft and review, and support department drafting of ordinances and resolutions
- Draft and review deeds and plats for dedications of land, rights-of-way, and easements, for the acquisition of real property
- Draft, review, and negotiate contracts and purchase agreements for the purchase of goods and services, construction, and the acquisition of real property; and leases, licenses, and right of entry agreements
- Review and provide guidance regarding the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and related notice requirements and document production responses, and state and local public hearings requirements
- Assist with Local Government Conflict of Interests Act (COIA) compliance by providing advice and opinions on prohibited conduct and the completion of disclosure forms
- Support staff and provide advice in litigation involving the County where the County is not a direct litigant, including subpoena responses, bankruptcy cases, and garnishments
- Seek to support the taxpayers of Stafford County by fully advising and informing the Board of Supervisors and County staff regarding liability and legal concerns prior to making a decision
- 4.5% Pay Scale Adjustment
- 2.0% Salary Increase
- 2.13% increase in Virginia Retirement System Rate
- .03% decrease in the Virginia Retiree Health Insurance Credit Rate
- Restore FY21 budget reductions
- To provide accurate legal advice, office staff members continue to learn and stay abreast of legal requirements and changes in the applicable areas of law.
- To provide creative legal advice, office staff members have a good understanding of many substantive areas of local government work and balance substantive knowledge with legal boundaries.
- To provide timely legal advice, office staff members continuously explore and implement methods to improve and streamline office and County processes.
- To provide proactive legal advice, office staff members train and educate County staff and public officials in pertinent, timely, and relevant areas of local government law.