The Highway Department is dedicated to serving the City’s residents through its wide range of operations, including sidewalk repairs, pothole repairs, snow operations, electronic waste pick-ups, and many other daily services. The Highway Department also keeps our squares and streets clean and free of trash. Twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, Highway personnel is available to address immediate safety concerns.
Personal Services Changes
Personal Services are proposed down 3.4% for FY22.
This reflects the transition of the tree crew to the newly-created Grounds Division.
Changes in salaries are due to negotiated collective bargaining agreements and merit increases based on annual performance reviews.
Ordinary Maintenance Changes
Ordinary Maintenance will be flat in the final proposed budget, as the Care of Trees line will be shifted to the Grounds Division. This change did not make it into the original proposal.
Modest increases to two lines are proposed:
- $18,000 in the Vehicle Rental line will fund the lease of a street sweeper.
- $10,000 in the Professional & Technical Services line to cover annual increases to our street sweeping contract.
FY22 Goals & Measures of Progress
Goal 1: Respond to all 311 sidewalk repairs, proactively survey and repair all unsafe or damaged sidewalk panels in Somerville’s major business districts and commercial corridors.
- Number of sidewalk-related 311 calls closed within SLA.
Goal 2: Provide cross-training to Highway Department crew to allow operation of all Highway vehicles and equipment.
- Number of trainings held.
Goal 3: Train in-house crew on the installation of Flexi-Pave around tree. This will help maintain ADA compliance on maybe streets and parks.
- Number of employees trained to install flexi-pave and percent of flexi-pave needs met by in-house crew.