The Somerville Council on Aging (COA) provides comprehensive services that enhance the lives of the older adult population and enriches the community at large. The Somerville Council on Aging supports older adults in their efforts to maintain their independence by enhancing growth, dignity, and a sense of belonging in mind, body, and spirit while they age in place. The CoA promotes and safeguards the health and independence of older adults through advocacy and providing meaningful social and recreational opportunities. The Council on Aging provides access to fitness, health and wellness activities, socialization opportunities, educational programing, and mental health and support services.
Personal Services Changes
Personal Services are projected up 3% for FY22.
There are no significant changes to Personal Services for FY22.
Changes in salaries are due to negotiated collective bargaining agreements and merit increases based on annual performance reviews.
Ordinary Maintenance Changes
Ordinary Maintenance costs are projected up 2% for FY22.
There are no significant changes to Ordinary Maintenance for FY22.
FY22 Goals & Measures of Progress
GOAL 1: Enhance educational, social, and daily living programs to meet the needs of Somerville’s older adult population.
- In addition to our three monthly sessions to reduce hoarding tendencies, create and implement two therapeutic opportunities for family members and friends of those living with hoarding tendencies.
- Expand mental health programming aimed at improving the mental health of older adults by instituting a monthly mental health workshop.
- Create and implement programing focused on reducing the digital divide. Programming to include group classes teaching internet skills and how to set up and use email.
- Facilitate social programming such as cultural tours, musical performances and day trips which promote offerings in the Somerville Community and surrounding areas.
GOAL 2: Expand access and equity to health and wellness programs for older adults in Somerville.
- Reformat in person Fit-4-Life Program to include online streaming.
- Offer fitness programming in at least one new language.
- Strengthen the collaboration with Tufts NEPS Lab, Psychology Lab and Occupation Therapy to bring expanded research opportunities and educational programming to the center.
GOAL 3: Expand outreach efforts and programming to reach new clients.
- Work in partnerships with agencies such as The Veterans Administration, Shape-Up Somerville, Public Health Nursing and Somerville Housing Authority.
- Create Retirement Readiness programs focused towards the younger senior.
- Examine social media platforms and evaluate areas of growth.