Logistics Department, where efficiency and preparedness are at the heart of our mission. As a crucial component of the Support Services Department, our team has demonstrated unwavering dedication to enhancing the supply chain management and emergency readiness for the entire organization. Throughout the past year, we have achieved significant milestones, including the transformation of our warehouse into a central point of supply, streamlining station deliveries, and implementing a distribution network for seamless tools and equipment movement. Our centralized purchasing approach has led to reduced overstock, minimized waste, and standardized products, while our emergency readiness capabilities have been tested and highly appreciated during critical exercises. Looking ahead to the 23/24 FY, we are committed to fine-tuning our processes, building an inventory of emergency supplies, and developing comprehensive replacement cycle plans.
During this inaugural year, the newly established Logistics Division has achieved remarkable milestones:
- Transformed Warehouse: The warehouse underwent a transformative renovation, evolving into the central point of supply for the ESD. This upgrade facilitated efficient streamlining and distribution of station supplies, small equipment, and tools across the entire county.
- Distribution Network Establishment: With the implementation of a robust distribution network, logistics achieved seamless coordination for the movement of tools and equipment, optimizing response times and operational efficiency.
- Centralized Purchasing Success: The successful adoption of centralized purchasing for station supplies led to reduced overstock and minimized waste, ensuring the availability of standardized and essential products in all stations. The valuable feedback from crews further improved the selection of products offered.
- Emergency Readiness: Logistics demonstrated its readiness capabilities by effectively housing and deploying assets as needed during emergencies. The inaugural use of on-scene logistic support during the Mill Creek exercise was met with overwhelmingly positive feedback.
- Bulk Purchasing: Implementing bulk purchasing strategies allowed for cost-effective procurement of supplies and equipment, optimizing resource utilization and reducing overall expenses.
- Cost Control Measures: The logistics department introduced cost control measures to monitor and manage expenses efficiently, ensuring budget adherence while maximizing operational capabilities.
- Concentrated Chemical Dilution and Distribution: The adoption of concentrated chemical dilution and distribution methods enhanced operational efficiency and reduced shipping costs, resulting in cost savings for the organization.
- Implemented Inventory Tracking System: The inventory tracking system has enabled real-time monitoring of stock levels and will facilitate data-driven decision-making for supply management.
While we celebrate our achievements, we also acknowledge the challenges encountered during the year:
- Lack of Staffing: The logistics department faced resource constraints, hindering the optimization of processes and the implementation of new initiatives. Additional staffing would help to effectively manage the increased demands of our growing responsibilities.
- Technology Integration: Implementing new systems, such as the Facilities portal, required significant adaptation and coordination across departments, leading to temporary disruptions in workflows.
- Ongoing Supply Chain Issues: Disruptions in the supply chain impacted our ability to procure essential items promptly, leading to delays in delivery and availability of critical supplies.
- Vendor Performance: Dealing with vendor performance issues posed difficulties in maintaining consistent and reliable supplies, necessitating continuous efforts to ensure high-quality service from vendors.
- Data Quality and Insights: Limited data availability and data quality issues hindered comprehensive analysis and decision-making, particularly in relation to volume needs, purchase history and asset replacement requirements.
- Absence of a Comprehensive Replacement Cycle Plan: Without a well-defined replacement strategy, the department faced uncertainties regarding when and how to retire aging assets and replenish critical supplies. This lack of a structured approach led to inefficiencies in resource management and posed potential risks to operational readiness.
Initiatives for the Upcoming Year:
- Fine-tune Processes: Logistics aims to fine-tune existing processes to reduce wait times for items and meet the needs of stations more efficiently.
- Streamline Station Deliveries: The department will focus on streamlining station deliveries, ensuring timely access to essential supplies and optimizing cost control measures.
- Monitor Inventory Usage: Closely monitoring inventory usage will enhance resource management, allowing for better planning and allocation of supplies to meet demand.
- Build Emergency Supplies Inventory: Logistics plans to build a comprehensive inventory of emergency supplies to ensure preparedness for rapid deployment during critical situations and emergencies.
- Improve Replenishment Systems: Implementing automated replenishment systems will help maintain optimal stock levels, preventing shortages and excess inventory.
- Conduct Supply Needs Assessment: Conducting a thorough needs assessment will identify specific station requirements and facilitate better allocation of resources based on demand.
- Enhance Vendor Performance Evaluation: Strengthening vendor performance evaluation will ensure high-quality service, on-time deliveries, and cost-effectiveness in the supply chain.
- Use of data from the Inventory Tracking System: Utilize the inventory system to enable data-driven decision-making for supply management.
- Conduct Training on Cost Control: Providing training to staff on cost control measures and resource optimization will instill a culture of responsible spending and budget adherence.
- Collaborate with Internal Customers for Feedback: Engaging stakeholders in the decision-making process and seeking their feedback on supply needs and quality will lead to better-informed procurement decisions.
- Develop Contingency Plans: Creating contingency plans for supply shortages and emergency situations will ensure seamless operations during unforeseen circumstances.
- Develop Comprehensive Replacement Cycle Plans: The Logistics Department aims to establish well-structured and proactive replacement cycle plans for furniture, equipment and supplies. These plans will define the optimal lifespan of assets and guide the timely retirement and replenishment of items, ensuring efficient resource utilization and minimizing operational disruptions.
Overview of Budget:
For the 23/24 FY budget year, logistics is committed to supporting several crucial initiatives, including:
- Supply Cabinets for Staffed Stations: Installing supply cabinets in staffed stations to enhance standardization and accessibility of essential items.
- Replacement of Appliances and Furniture: Upgrading appliances and furniture in Jackson Heights 2 for improved functionality and comfort.
- Replacement of Recliners in Whitehouse: Replacing recliners in Whitehouse to ensure firefighter well-being during downtime.
- Rotating Replacement of Station Mattresses: Rotating station mattresses to maintain comfort and hygiene for personnel.
- Continued Replenishment of Consumables: Ensuring an uninterrupted supply of consumables for operational readiness.
With a focus on cost control, data-driven decision-making, and proactive planning, we are determined to meet the challenges ahead and ensure the highest level of support to our dedicated personnel across the county.
Standard Station Storage Cabinets Project
In 2023, we initiated station deliveries of bulk supplies to centralize purchasing and reduce costs. However, we encountered challenges due to improper storage and organization of the bulk chemical containers and supplies at the stations. This issue led to difficulties in locating needed supplies, hindering operational efficiency. To address this, we propose implementing storage cabinets at each facility to provide a defined and organized location for storing provided supplies, ensuring easy identification and restocking of base quantities.
The primary objective of this project is to enhance service efficiency by implementing storage cabinets at each facility. These cabinets will provide organized and easily accessible storage for bulk supplies, improving supply management, and reducing the time spent searching for needed items.
We propose the installation of durable and adjustable storage cabinets at each facility to accommodate the storage of bulk chemical containers and supplies. The selected cabinets have already demonstrated their effectiveness in the warehouse for storing uniform and medical items, making them an ideal choice for this purpose.
- Improved Organization: The implementation of storage cabinets will ensure that bulk supplies are organized, reducing the chances of misplaced or lost items and streamlining supply management.
- Enhanced Efficiency: Having a defined location for provided supplies will make it easier for personnel to identify and restock base quantities, improving operational efficiency and response times.
- Optimized Space Utilization: The adjustable nature of the cabinets will enable us to adapt storage configurations as the supply delivery program matures, ensuring efficient use of available space.
- Durability and Longevity: The proven durability of the selected cabinets ensures that they can withstand the demands of a busy fire station environment, providing long-lasting and reliable storage solutions.
- Cabinet Selection: Procure suitable storage cabinets that meet the specific requirements for storing bulk supplies.
- Facility Assessment: Conduct a thorough assessment of each facility to determine the optimal placement and configuration of the storage cabinets.
- Installation: Professionally install the storage cabinets at each facility, ensuring secure and efficient placement.
- Inventory Organization: Organize and transfer bulk supplies to the storage cabinets, establishing a systematic inventory management system.
The project budget will include the cost of purchasing the storage cabinets, installation expenses, and any necessary adjustments to optimize space utilization. A detailed breakdown will be provided in the final project proposal.
The implementation of storage cabinets for bulk supplies at each facility will significantly improve supply organization, enhance service efficiency, and optimize space utilization. With a streamlined inventory management system, our fire stations can easily access and restock essential items, ultimately supporting our commitment to maintaining an effective and responsive firefighting force.