Parks and Recreation Master Plan - Adopted by City Council in September 2020
In line with Council's strategic priorities - responsive government, resilient economy, sustainable environment, vibrant culture and a livable community - this Master Plan will help guide the future of parks, recreation, trails and open space in Sandpoint. Click here to view the full plan.
20-year Parks and Recreation Master Plan
The planning process resulted in a comprehensive vision for the City of Sandpoint parks system as a whole, including individual parks
and open spaces; trails; recreation facilities and amenities;
as well as programs and activities.
The updated plan provides an inclusive framework for orderly and consistent planning, acquisition, development, and administration of
the parks and recreation resources, programs and City of Sandpoint facilities. It considers plans for infrastructure, services and programs that serve both recreation and active transportation purposes. It will also include an action plan and a strategic financial plan through 2040.
The Planning Process
Development of the Parks & Recreation Master Plan is occurring in four phases:
• A comprehensive strategy for community involvement throughout the process. The effort began in May 2019 with public meetings, forums and focus groups with residents, user groups, associations, and other key stakeholders/partners to gain input that will result in a plan that reflects and fulfills the community’s high priority for its parks and recreational needs.
• Resource inventory – a system-wide examination of broad-based needs, preferences and priorities.
• Site-specific planning for specific parks and/or facilities, including City Beach, War Memorial Field and the watershed in conjunction with the watershed master plan.
• A comprehensive system-wide operational/maintenance plan will be developed with site-specific details incorporated.
Implement Performance Management
Quantitative & Qualitative Report
- Quality Programs and Services
- Customer Surveys
- Net Promoter Score
- Financial Benchmarks
- Innovation (Trends, R&D)
Projected Project Timeline
Initial Park/Program Inventory - September, 2018 - January 15, 2019
RFQ/P Issued for Consultant - February 1, 2019 Click here to review it.
Citizen Advisory Committee Formed - March, 2019
Consultant Selected (GreenPlay LLC) - March, 2019 Click here to review proposal
Public Input - March - November, 2019 (using both high-touch and high-tech engagement strategies)
Phase I -wide System Plan Complete - 2019
Phase II Site Specific Planning Underway - October, 2019
Why wait on facility/park decisions?
Outside Factors - Reconstruction of the Edgewater Hotel is slated for September, 2020. Decisions on this development will impact City Beach. There may also be public/private partnership opportunities.
Re-allocation of Resources - When facility decisions are made in a vacuum and don't consider impacts and needs of the whole system, funds are inadvertently redirected from one facility or activity to another in the Parks System or across the City's General Fund. For example, initial estimates for annual increased maintenance/replacement schedule costs for turf options at War Memorial Field range from $80,000 - $130,000. One-time Local Option Local Option Tax funds will only cover initial installation. We need to make a decision that we can and will maintain into the future and best meets the needs of our community within the context of the region as a whole.