Wildfire Recovery & Rebuilding

Frequently Asked Questions

The purpose of this site is to provide Shasta County and the City of Redding residents with the answers to the latest frequently asked questions.

When can you begin work on your property if you have a home destroyed by the Carr Fire?

After the property has had a final approval notification and the notification form is returned to the City or County. Once the debris removal by CalRecycle has been completed, soil samples show that clean up goals have been met, and erosion control measures have been applied (unless a waiver has been submitted), then the final approval notice is sent to the City or County for sign-off. Once the sign off form is completed by staff, an official letter will be mailed to the property owner(s). The property owner can then proceed with performing work on the property.

Frequently Asked Questions Household Hazardous Waste and Debris Removal

1.What is the "CalOES Debris Removal Program"?

The California Office of Emergency Services (CalOES) Debris Removal Program has twophases: removal of household hazardous waste and removal of fire-related ash and debris.

In Phase 1, city. county, state and federal agencies have organized teams of experts from the California State Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) to remove from your property any household hazardous waste that may pose a threat to human health, animals, and the environment such as batteries, asbestos siding, and paints.Phase 1 is automatic and access to affected residential property is authorized by the Shasta County Health Officer's August 1, 2018 Proclamation declaring a local health emergency related to the Carr Fire.

In Phase 2, CalOES and local officials are coordinating with CalRecycle to execute contracts and conduct fire-related debris and ash removal from your property free of direct charges to the owner.Phase 2 requires submittal of a completed Right of Entry (ROE) form to the City of Redding Building Official or the Shasta County Environmental Health Director (see #2 below).

2.What do I need to do?

Phase 1: Household hazardous waste: DTSC staging operations are already underway.Removal of household hazardous waste began on August 13, 2018 and will take three to six weeks to complete.

Phase 2: Debris and ash removal: Visit the Carr Fire Recovery website to download a Right of Entry form.The ROE forms may also be picked up at Redding City Hall, Shasta County Environmental Health Division and at some of the established assistance centers in the City and County.The ROE is necessary to participate in the CalOES Program and grants government contractors access to your property for cleanup purposes only.Additional information about general safety and debris and ash cleanup, can be found at the above website.

Note that homeowners will be able to opt out of the Cal OES debris removal but will be required to comply with the same specifications that the State program adheres to.

3.My house was destroyed in the fire. Can I go back onto my property to see if I can find any valuables or mementos?

Safe sifting through your property will NOT jeopardize your claims for disaster assistance. Property owners who desire to search debris for possible salvageable items should do so with caution and with proper protective gear: eye protection, masks, gloves, long-sleeved shirts, and long pants. Residents should minimize contact with fire debris, which may contain materials that can be hazardous to your health. For more information visit:

4.When will the debris removal begin?

DTSC crews began removal of hazardous household waste on August 13, 2018, and are expected to complete Phase 1 cleanup in three to six weeks from the start date.Phase 2 removal of fire debris and ash will begin the first week of September.

5.Who will pay for the debris removal?

For those who participate in the CalOES Program, debris removal costs will be paid by state and federal agencies with no direct cost to owners.If property owners have insurance that specifically covers debris removal, and those funds are paid directly to the property owner, the owner(s) will more than likely be required to remit a portion of the insurance proceeds to the County to pay the portion of the cost that is attributed to insurance coverage. Additionally, where there are additional insurance proceeds remaining after rebuilding, property owners may have to remit a portion back to the County to avoid receiving double benefits.

6. Once the household hazardous waste is removed by DTSC, can property owners hire their own contractors to remove the remaining debris?

Yes. If, after DTSC has cleared the site of household hazardous waste, you choose to remove fire-related ash and debris from your property, or if some structures do not qualify for the CalOES Program, you must obtain the required Alternative Fire Debris Removal Application and Workplan opt out forms and submit them to the Shasta County Environmental Health Director or the City of Redding Building Official for approval.You must submit a work plan showing how all established protocols for handling and disposal of debris and ash will be followed, must identify the contractor(s) hired to do the work, if applicable, and must have soil samples tested after cleanup is complete.When the work is completed you must provide all landfill and recycling center receipts, and final soil testing results before clearance will be granted.All costs for work undertaken under the Alternative Program will be the owner's responsibility.City and County are developing, in coordination with Cal OES, procedures for this opt out process and expect it to be available soon. This form is completely separate of the Right of Entry form.

7.Can residents be present during the cleanup of their personal property?

The safety of the public, workers and residents is a priority during debris removal operations.Work crews and heavy equipment will need continuous open access to efficiently complete their cleanup mission.Residents and the public are strongly encouraged to stay away from areas where debris removal operations are underway and in most cases exclusion zones will be established surrounding the active work area to ensure public safety.However, it is noted Cal Recycle contact owners before actual debris and foundation removal efforts begin on their property.

8.How will I know if household hazardous waste has been removed from my property?

DTSC household hazardous waste removal teams will mark the property indicating that household hazardous waste has been removed.Progress of cleanup may also be posted electronically on the DTSC website that can be found as a link on the Shasta Redding Recovers website. https://dtsc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/ac68be696d0d46688349a9d31c62205f

9.Is the debris removal program only for houses that are completely destroyed?

The CalOES Program is for fire-damaged or destroyed houses, as directed by the local government. If you are unsure if your house qualifies for the debris removal program, submit a Right of Entry form to your local government (City or County depending on the location of your home) for assessment.

10.What is considered household hazardous waste?

Household hazardous waste is waste from houses that poses a threat to public health, animals, or the environment. Hazardous waste includes chemicals that are ignitable, toxic, corrosive and reactive. Examples include pool chemicals, car batteries, antifreeze, used oil filters, solvents, fertilizers, pesticides, propane tanks, disinfectants, aerosols, paint, bleach, and ammunition.

11.Are burned electronics and appliances (white goods) included in the household hazardous waste cleanup?

Teams handling hazardous waste will not remove appliances or electronic wastes such as TV and computer monitors, computer processing units or cell phones. These materials will be removed as part of the phase 2 ash and debris removal operation.

12.Why not just have the contractors remove household hazardous waste as part of the clean up?

Removal crews are specifically certified to handle household hazardous waste. Household hazardous waste must be removed promptly by qualified operators to protect the public health and safety. Hazardous waste could have significant long-term environmental impacts.Removal of hazardous waste from the fire debris prevents these potential contaminants from polluting the environment, and protects the workers and the public from exposure during debris removal operations.

13.Will CalOES use local contractors in this effort?

Yes, whenever possible. CalOES will hire prime contractors who will use local contractors whenever possible. CalRecycle will be the contracting agency for the State-managed residential fire debris removal work in Shasta County.For interested contractor and subcontractors, the contractor solicitation for this work is currently being advertised and is available for viewing on the CalRecycle website.

14.Will CalOES use California State prevailing wage, Davis-Bacon, or GSA rate?

The CalOES contractor is required to pay Davis-Bacon or California State prevailing wage, whichever is higher.

15.If I have homeowner's insurance, can I still participate in the debris removal program?

Yes.However, to avoid a duplication of benefits provided by the state or federal government, your insurance company may be required to provide payment from your policy that is designated for debris removal.

16.What portion of my homeowner's policy will the county collect for debris removal?

It depends on the policy that you have. There are generally two types of debris removal coverages in a homeowner's insurance policy:

Specified Amount: One type of debris removal insurance coverage contains a separate, specific debris clause, typically capped at a percentage of the coverage amounts listed in the policy (for example, 5 percent of the value of a primary structure other structure, and personal property).

If you have this type of policy, the county will only collect the specified amount designated in the debris removal clause. You will not owe the county any additional money, even if the actual costs to remove the debris exceed the amount designated in your insurance policy for debris removal.

No Specified Amount: Another type of debris removal insurance policy does not have a specified amount but includes the costs of debris removal in the total proceeds provided for the primary structure, other structure, or personal property.

If you have this type of policy, the county will only attempt to collect insurance proceeds for debris removal after you have rebuilt your home. The County will only collect any money that remains in your insurance policy, if any, after the rebuild.The homeowner will not owe the county any additional money for debris removal.

17.lf l participate in the CalOES Debris Removal Program, will the County have the right to take all of my insuranceproceeds?

No. The rumors that if a homeowner participates in the CalOES Debris Removal Program, the County will take all of the homeowner's insurance proceeds including the insurance designated to rebuild their home is not true. The County will only seek reimbursement from the insurance carrier as stated in #15 and #16 above.

Additional Questions?

If you have any questions that aren't answered on this site, please review the FAQ. If your question hasn't already been asked and answered, submit your question here.

Shasta County and the City of Redding are receiving a high number of questions. We are working around the clock to respond to questions and get services back to normal. During this time we appreciate your patience and understanding if your questions are not immediately answered.