Wildfire Recovery & Rebuilding

Damaged Property

If you have damaged property as a result of the Carr fire, this page will provide valuable information about resources available in Shasta County and the City of Redding.

Do not remove damaged or destroyed vehicles until you read the Tips for Burned Vehicles.

Additional information on vehicles destroyed in the Carr fire can be found on the General Recovery tile.

Household Water Well System Loan Program

Low interest loans are available to construct, refurbish, or replace individual water well systems. This loan is available to eligible individual home owners whose systems may have been affected or destroyed by the wildfires.For more information and to apply, click on the image above.

Property Tax Relief

Revenue and Taxation Code section 170 provides that if a calamity such as fire, earthquake, or flooding damages or destroys your property, you may be eligible for property tax relief.In such cases, the county assessor will reappraise the property to reflect its damaged condition. In addition, when it is rebuilt in a like or similar manner, the property will retain its prior value (Proposition 13) for tax purposes.

This property tax relief is available to owners of real property, business equipment and fixtures, orchards or other agricultural groves, and to owners of aircraft, boats, and certain manufactured homes – it is not available to property that is not assessable, such as state licensed manufactured homes or household furnishings.

Replacement of Vital Records

If you lost a birth, death or public marriage certificate in the CARR fire, you can obtain free replacements from the Shasta County Recorder for births and deaths which occurred in Shasta County and public marriages where the license was obtained in Shasta County.Our office can also assist in requesting these certificates from other counties in California.

Is your home salvageable?

If your home is salvageable, then it has less than 50 percent damage, and while total rebuild is not required, there may be extensive repairs needed. The Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) may not inspect your home for hazards, so please be careful when removing ash and fire debris from your property. If DTSC does inspect your property, then you must sign a Right of Entry form to participate in the CalRecycle Debris Removal Program or opt-out to contract for your own debris removal.

  • If possible, try to AVOID direct contact with ash. If you get ash on your skin, in your eyes, or in your mouth, wash it off as soon as you can, with clean or sterile water.

  • Tyvek suits are recommended, however, if you don’t have one, then wear clothing that fully protects your skin when in proximity to ash. Wear gloves, long sleeved shirts, and long pants. Goggles are recommended. Contact with wet ash may cause chemical burns or irritation on skin. Change your shoes and clothing prior to leaving the decontamination site to avoid tracking ash into your car, home, etc.

  • When exposure to dust or ash cannot be avoided, use a well fitted NIOSH certified air purifying respirator mask, which can be purchased from most hardware stores. A mask rated N95 is much more effective than unrated dust or surgical masks in blocking ash particles.

  • Persons with heart or lung disease should consult their physician, even before using a mask during post fire cleanup.

The City and County strongly cautions against the use of leaf blowers to clean up ash and washing away large amounts of ash outdoors using water hoses. Using leaf blowers makes fallen ash airborne, thereby increasing the risk of the ash being inhaled by residents and animals. Washing the ash into storm drains could cause contamination in the water streams. Residents should pay close attention to the information relayed by City and County officials, so as not to participate in potentially harmful cleanup behaviors that could have long term repercussions.

Learn more about Debris Removal.

Guidelines to drain swimming pools impacted by smoke and ash (City of Redding)

• Pools may not be drained to the street gutter or storm drain.

• Pool water shall be drained to the sanitary sewer.

• An inspection is required to drain pools impacted by smoke and ash on property located within the City of Redding. Call City of Redding Industrial Waste Supervisor at (530) 224-4319 to schedule a site inspection.

• There will be no inspection, permit, or discharge fee for Redding residents discharging into the sanitary sewer.

• Spas shall follow the same guidelines as pools.


• Locate the sewer clean out on your property or an indoor shop sink.

• Skim and remove all solid debris and vegetation from the pool water.

• Obtain a sump pump that pumps approximately 10-20 gallons per minute. Faster pumps are discouraged due to the risk of a sewage backup.

• A sediment filter is required (1/8”) at the pump intake.

• Sump pumps are typically available at equipment rental stores and hardware stores. A hose and an extension cord will also be needed.

• Caution must be taken when draining a pool to protect the pool from massive structural damage due to groundwater pressure. We recommend contacting the pool manufacturer to determine if a groundwater valve is installed or if additional protective measures are needed.

• Pools at burned home sites must be fenced

• Pools at burned home sites shall not be drained until after the property is cleared by California Department of Toxic Substance Control (DTSC).


If you have any questions that aren't answered on this site, please review the FAQ. If your question hasn't already been asked and answered, submit your question here.

Shasta County and the City of Redding are receiving a high number of questions. We are working around the clock to respond to questions and get services back to normal. During this time we appreciate your patience and understanding if your questions are not immediately answered.