Town of Provincetown
FY 2024 Budget
Division 3: Public Safety
291 Emergency Management
The Emergency Management budget is directed by the Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC), with Chief Jim Golden as the Town’s Emergency Management Director. The LEPC performs planning and administrative tasks in preparation for emergencies and incidents pursuant to Massachusetts Civil Defense Acts of 1950, C. 639A (as amended). The LEPC plans for, trains for, and conducts exercises for all hazards, including hazards that require the opening of the Provincetown-Truro Emergency Shelter. The LEPC maintains the Board of Health Emergency Operations Plan as required by the Centers for Disease Control and the Massachusetts Department of Public Health. LEPC members represent Provincetown in Barnstable County Regional Planning Committee (BCREPC) activities and trainings.
The Town of Provincetown’s Department of Emergency Management is responsible for an emergency management plan that prepares for public response and recovery efforts that relieve and reduce human suffering, property damage, and environmental impact in the event of natural or man-made disaster, weather event, catastrophe or the threat thereof. The Department of Emergency Management works in conjunction with State, Federal and Local authorities, including private entities and all other municipalities on Cape Cod when required and to develop, maintain and implement the Continuity of Operations or Government (COOP/COG) plans.
Major Accomplishments for FY 2023
• Assigned to plan and participate in Emergency Management initiatives including a complete update of the Comprehenisve Emergency Managment Plan (CEMP).
• Developed and strengthened network relationships at the County, State, Federal, and NGO's.
FY 2024 Objectives
- Design and execute a training curriculum to enhance LEPC and Town Staff Emergency Response capacities.
- Design public awareness programs to inform all residents and visitors of local disaster preparedness activities and improved communications strategies.
Resume meetings, post Covid of the LEPC.
LOCAL EMERGENCY PLANNING COMMITTEE MEMBERS
- Jim Golden - Chief of Police
- Micheal Trovado - Fire Chief
- Greg Hennick - Police Lieutenant
- Sherry Prada - Emergency Management Coordinator
- Jim Vincent - Chapter 91 Manager
- Lezli Rowell - Health Agent
- Tim Collins - Fire Chief
- Emily Beebe - Heath/Conservation Agent
FY 2024 Additional Amount Requested
Additional Amount Requested: -$57,397
Budget Line: 511001
One Time Only or Ongoing Expense? On going
Description of Additional Program, Product or Service: Remove full time position and add two stipend positions
Cost/Benefit Analysis:The origional position for $77,397 has been removed and two stipend positions have been added. $10,000 for Emergency Managment Coordinator and $10,000 for Chapter 91 Manager