Municipal Court

Municipal Court

The Municipal Court is the judicial branch of the Town’s government and is part of the state judicial system. The Municipal Court hears Class C Misdemeanor criminal cases, including traffic violations. The maximum fine, upon conviction, does not exceed $500 and for which no jail sentence may be assessed. The Municipal Court also hears cases involving violations of city ordinances, which may have fines up to $5,000 for certain offenses.

FY 2021 Accomplishments

In FY 2021, the Municipal Court successfully issued warrants on all outstanding violations that failed to appear during Covid. The Municipal Court is now current on all warrants and issuing them every week.

FY 2022 Goals

The Municipal Court will set and hold court on all Jury Trials backlogged due to restrictions during Covid once current new Jury Trials are assessed regularly.

FY 2022 Changes

The Municipal Court will continue working with our new Collection Agency to provide and utilize new collection tools. The Municipal Court will be involved with the planning and implementing of Warrant Roundup and other collection tools such as Scofflaw.

Expenditures by Fund

82% or $306,802 of the Municipal Court budget comes from the General Fund. With the remaining 18% coming from the Court Technology, Court Security, Child Safety, and Online Access Fee Funds. Court costs have remained relatively flat over the past four years, with the only changes being technology purchases.

Expenditures by Category

Municipal Courts' primary expenditure category is Payroll, which makes up 61% or $228,872. Services for technology, bailiff, and the Judge make up 22% or $80,800. The remaining 17% is composed of Internal Services, Capital Outlay, Maintenance, and Supplies.

Warrants Issued

The Municipal Court issues two types of Warrants, Capias, and Alias Warrants. Alias Warrants are issued for nonappearance in court. Capias Warrants are issued when a defendant appears and enters into a plea agreement and fails to meet the terms of the agreement.

Violate Promise to Appears

Violate Promise to appear is created by the Court as a separate charge for failing to appear within the 20 business days as stated on

the citation.

Number of Cases Disposed

Cases are considered disposed of when paid, dismissed, or the plea agreements are completed.