Brownfield Redevelopment Authority (BRA)
& Local Brownfield Revolving Fund (LSRRF)
The Brownfield Redevelopment Authority was established to promote the revitalization of environmentally distressed, contaminated or blighted areas. The BRA utilizes Tax Increment Financing to offset the cost of brownfield development. The mission of the board is to return vacant, blighted, contaminated, and tax exempt properties back to active use and property tax generation.
The Economic Development Division implements programs and provides services integral to achieving the goals of the community's economic development plan. Staff expertise in the use of incentives such as gap financing, land assembly and linkages to workforce development resources is utilized to preserve/enhance tax base and create jobs in the city. The Department works with federal, state and local development organizations/agencies to address community reinvestment, job creation, entrepreneurship, job retention, brownfield redevelopment and riverfront redevelopment. The division provides staffing support to the Brownfield Redevelopment Authority, Economic Development Corporation and Local Development Finance Authority.
- Financial assistance for real estate development and redevelopment of brownfield-eligible properties
- Assistance with due diligence and due care obligations
- Access to state grants and loans through the Michigan Department of Environment, Great Lakes, and Energy and Michigan Economic Development Corporation
- Provides Tax Increment Financing for projects that can demonstrate financial need
- Other economic development initiatives as determined by the board