Media and Community Engagement
Strategic Plan Goal: Engaged Collaborative Governance
Customer Service Strategy:
The Media and Community Engagement department fosters a spirit of cooperation that allows us to respond in a timely manner to promote the stories of the city.
- Media relations
- Community engagement
- Branding and marketing
- Emergency communications
Budget by Strategic Plan Goal
FY 2023 Total Budget: $ 516,444
FY 2023 General Fund: $ 516,444
Total FTE's: 4
Social Media Engagement (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram) The number of visits compared to population, displays the City’s commitment to marketing outreach that increases participation.
Community Survey Indicates the quality of communication and satisfaction with city services and the impact on quality of life.
Budget by Type:
Source of Funds:
Strategic Operating Actions:
2. Increase and focus on marketing outreach that would improve customer service and increase participation
2.1 Strengthen messaging opportunities that are easily digestible by utilizing a diverse array of media outlets and proactive community outreach.
2.1.1 Explore opportunities of marketing public service announcements to special event licensees to be aired on city communication channels.
2.1.2 Implement annual community town hall as an opportunity for residents to have facetime with City Departments.
3. Create & enhance City’s brand & marketing that includes community outreach and collaboration and tells the story of Durango’s preservation and growth
3.1 Improve the online presence of a high-quality communications program to foster awareness in the community.
3.2 Expand community outreach, engagement platforms, and opportunities by coordinating with underserved audiences.
3.3 Establish a brand that celebrates and promotes the City of Durango identity.
2022 Strategic Results:
- Implemented Google translate on city webpage to extend outreach
- Analyzed website with readability tests under SWOT analysis to help simplify messaging
- RFP submitted for annual community survey
- Short-format video embraced for story-telling of Durango and city employees
- Continued growth in social media accounts across all platforms (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and website). TikTok added in June
- Translation offered at all city council meetings
2023 Strategic Deliverables:
- Expand public engagement with new website platform (RFP under way)
- Focus website content to mesh with mobile users (60% of our base)
- Include survey platform available to all departments
- Analyze pending language survey from Language Justice for potential methodology to include
Pending RFPs on surveys and social engagement platforms
Discontinuation of Virtual City Hall and Zencity