Airport Utilities & Environmental
Strategic Plan Goal: Effective Infrastructure Network
Customer Service Strategy:
The DRO team proudly serves our users and community by operating airport facilities in a safe, efficient, and sustainable way with a focus on friendly service and local convenience. The Airport Maintenance division supports this mission by providing professional maintenance services while ensuring that all aircraft and people can traverse the airport in a safe and comfortable manner. The Maintenance team also maintains critical airfield infrastructure and terminal facilities. The Maintenance division strives to deliver prompt and efficient service to tenants submitting work requests, while also addressing the needs of the traveling public as they traverse the terminal and landside grounds.
Manages the airport’s water and wastewater treatment facilities, ensuring compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local regulations.
The airport’s Wildlife Hazard Management Plan, Stormwater Pollution Prevention Plan, aircraft deicing, and fueling operations are also administered by this division
Budget by Strategic Plan Goal
FY 2023 Total Budget: $895,552
FY 2023 General Fund: $895,552
Total FTE's: 2
Operating Cost Per Enplaned Passenger The Durango-La Plata County Airport consistently outperforms comparable regional airports in sustaining lower operating costs per enplaned passenger while maintaining tenant and passenger satisfaction with airport facilities.
Budget by Type:
Source of Funds:
Strategic Operating Actions:
3.1 Operate and maintain airport facilities in a safe, efficient, and sustainable manner to support all forms of aviation services.
3.3 Implement Airport Master Plan.
3.3.1 Rehabilitate Runway 3/21.
3.3.2 Reconstruct Taxiway A between A2 and South GA Apron.
3.3.3 Complete design and begin construction of Phase 1A of terminal development.
3.3.4 Initiate design on Phase 1 of terminal landside rental car and public parking expansion.
2022 Strategic Results:
- Continued design and funding process of the airport wastewater improvement project
- Implemented water leak detection monitoring of water distribution system to identify potable water loss
- Performed Optimal Corrosion Control Treatment Study to identify optimal corrosion inhibitor dosing
- Developed water meter replacement protocol to ensure water and sewer billing accuracy
- Upgraded fire suppression pumps within water distribution systems to improve reliability
- Performed rehabilitation of the airport’s wastewater lift station to enhance the reliability and performance
- Completed rehabilitation of the airport’s south potable water storage tank
2023 Strategic Deliverables:
- Start and complete the needed improvements to the airport’s wastewater treatment facility.
- Continue to make infrastructure improvements to south aircraft hangar water distribution systems.
- Begin feasibility study for Lower Pump House raw water storage tank replacement.
- Implementing snow removal bonus to achieve maximum winter staffing
- Implementing pay for certification trial program and professional development
- Increasing noxious weed control
- Conducting surveying for per-and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS)
Maintaining current service levels