Durango Renewal Partnership - Urban Renewal Authority (URA)
Strategic Plan Goal: Enhanced Livability & Sense of Place
Customer Service Strategy:
The Durango Renewal Partnership “facilitates reinvestment in underutilized areas to address community priorities & create thriving places.”
As a Division of the Community Development Department, the Partnership supports the overall Department vision of “Making Durango a Safe, Thriving & Authentic Place for Many Generations to Come.” in alignment with the City-wide Vision, Mission, Values, and Strategies in the Strategic Plan.
- Facilitate reinvestment and redevelopment in the community through public/private partnerships and other collaborative arrangements
- Create, administer, and share the successes of urban renewal projects
- Nurture sustainable growth which enhances City character, addresses community priorities, creates new economic opportunities, and preserves our treasured assets.
Budget by Strategic Plan Goal
FY 2023 Total Budget: $147,000
FY 2023 General Fund: $147,000
Changes in key industry sectors, such as technology, clean manufacturing, aerospace Track annual changes in number of firms and employees in specific industry clusters.
Number of first-time business owners The number of business owners who are starting a business for the first time and have chosen to do so in the City of Durango.
Business Retention The number of business's that are retained in the City of Durango.
Budget by Type:
Source of Funds:
Strategic Operating Actions:
2. Act as an economic catalyst by working with regional stakeholders to encourage new businesses and business expansions by providing innovative opportunities for growth.
2.1 Build partnerships and commit resources to help advance key development projects such as La Posta, Durango Mesa, and Three Springs.
2.2 Leverage established URA areas to stimulate investment and business development, form development partnerships through the URA and develop additional URA plans to achieve community goals.
2.2.1 Prioritize funding for mobility/transit features that may be part of URA.
2.2.2 Develop agreements for public/private partnerships utilizing Durango Renewal Partnership initiatives.
2.2.3 Engage community on priority URA Project Areas and significantly update and expand the Partnership’s web presence and public relations efforts.
2022 Strategic Results:
- Created the N. Main Gateway Urban Renewal Area.
- Adopted seven new TIF Agreements to support redevelopment work in the N. Main Gateway Area.
- Tracked and administered existing TIF Agreements with our taxing entity partners for the MidTown Area.
- Launched and awarded $150,000 through the MidTown PEAK Grant program.
- Met with dozens of property owners, business owners, and developers to review possibilities for partnerships.
- Conducted TIF analysis of potential projects to understand TIF impacts and opportunities to support redevelopment.
- Created the Animas City Park Overlook Redevelopment and Reimbursement Agreement to support workforce housing development in the N. Main Gateway Area to secure 10 deed-restricted housing units for local workers.
- Supported initiation of public/private partnerships on publicly-owned properties and assisted in the issuance of a Request for Qualifications/Letters of Interest.
- Assisted in the formulation of a roadmap for development of the La Posta Area.
2023 Strategic Deliverables:
- Continue efforts related to the development of the La Posta area in conjunction with other Divisions, Departments, community organizations, and property owners.
- Ensure the accurate and transparent administration of TIF-generated funds and adherence to the terms of all approved TIF Agreements.
- Meet and communicate regularly with taxing entity partners to share positive outcomes of their involvement in the Durango Renewal Partnership.
- Support implementation of urban renewal programs in the MidTown area in support of the approved Urban Renewal Plan.
- Support implementation of urban renewal programs in the North Main Gateway area in support of the approved Urban Renewal Plan.
- Conduct outreach and educational efforts to ensure continued support for the URA including website updates, informational publications, presentations, and other initiatives.
- Partner with private sector and non-profit entities to help shape and advance development in underutilized areas of the community.
The URA will most likely need to pursue a dedicated employee in the next 1-2 years as well as possibly taking over administration of their own finances. This will be a significant service enhancement and cost. We plan to propose the creation of a reserve fund to help cover this transition and initial program costs. Besides that, we expect the budget to be close to what it was last year.
Maintaining current service levels