Solid Waste Collections
Strategic Plan Goal: Environmental Sustainability and Resilience
Customer Service Strategy:
Trash Collection Division is an enterprise fund responsible for collection and disposal of residential and commercial trash collected within the city limits of Durango. Revenues from the Solid waste Collections directly support the recycling program, recycle center and recycle staff. Rate structures are designed to fund anticipated capital improvement projects and additional routes as the city of Durango continues to grow.
- Residential trash collection
- Commercial trash collection
- Operate 6 days a week
- 16 solid waste routes collected
- Provide high quality customer service to city residents and businesses
Budget by Strategic Plan Goal
FY 2023 Total Budget: $1,547,119
FY 2023 General Fund: $0
Total FTE's: 6.23
Municipal Solid Waste, per capita amount sent to landfill and diversion rates Reducing landfill waste and increasing diversion reduces emissions and pollution and reducing unnecessary material consumption in general decreases the amount of resources used to produce materials in the first place. Reuse of materials is encouraged in City Operations.
Budget by Type:
Source of Funds:
Strategic Operating Actions:
4. Provide Solid waste Disposal that is oriented toward Recycle and Reuse
4.1 Promote conservation and recycling of material resources through well - designed and well – managed city services.
4.1.1 Evaluate landfill waste streams for potentially recyclable material.
4.1.2 Adopt goals for both Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) generated per capita and diversion rates.
4.1.4 Increase diversion from landfill to recycle by city processes.
2022 Strategic Results:
- Generated 25 new commercial trash accounts
- Continue to deliver fully automated wildlife resistant containers to city residents
- Continue to expand commercial frontload trash route collection
- Continue to offer a high level of service to city residents and businesses
- Provide service to 5,266 residential customers
- Provide service to 650 commercial trash customers
2023 Strategic Deliverables:
- Continue to cultivate new commercial business accounts
- Research ways to reduce the cost of collection
- Assess for opportunities to improve daily route efficiencies
CPW grant to purchase fully-automated wildlife cans ($120,000)
Cost of steel increased
Maintaining current service levels