The mission of the World Language (WL) Department is to support all students to achieve a high level of communicative proficiency in world languages enabling them to be competitive in the global workforce. The WL department supports professional development and benchmark assessments using ACTFL World Readiness Standards and nationally recognized World Language assessment tools. The department supports instruction and courses in the following world languages:
- Elementary (grades JK-5): Spanish (Fletcher Maynard Academy, Morse, Peabody) and Ni Hao Chinese program (M.L. King Jr.)
- Upper level (grades 6 - 8): Chinese, French, and Spanish
- High school (grades 9 - 12): French, Arabic, Chinese, Spanish, Latin, American Sign Language
- Review and update curriculum through an equity lens, with a focus on decolonizing and indigenizing.
- Implement proficiency based instruction with a focus on extensive communication in each class, as appropriate by language.