The Department of Academics and Schools is responsible for all elements of teaching, learning and support services to ensure that All students in the Cambridge Public Schools receive a high quality, equitable education and that each student leaves our schools prepared for college and career. The department provides leadership in all areas of curriculum, instruction, assessment, professional learning and support services. The foundation of effective education for our students is rooted in the effectiveness of our educators and school leaders, therefore, a primary focus of this department is aligned, focused and rigorous coaching and support for educators and school leaders.
This department is charged with and expected to align curriculum, instruction, assessment and professional learning across all curriculum areas and support services to ensure that educators and leaders are able to implement curriculum and instructional practices in ways that close the equity gaps that continue to plague our district.
The department provides leadership in the areas of curriculum, instruction, assessment, professional learning and support services; with direct supervision of the following areas and departments: English Language Arts, English Language Learners, Educational Technology, Health & Wellness, History & Social Science, Library Media, Math, Physical Education, Science, Social/Emotional Learning, Special Education, Student Support Services, Visual & Performing Arts, and World Language.
- Implement a districtwide instructional framework that guides consistent, high-quality instruction and aligns instructional practices and resources across content areas and grades.
- Develop districtwide standards for addressing chronic absenteeism and establish districtwide attendance procedures.
- Strengthen college and career pathways.
- Adopt consistent expectations, accountability and professional learning for school-based data and data systems, data cycles and coaching around outcomes K-12.
- Provide role-based professional learning opportunities to inspire educator growth and development.
- Design, deliver, and promote high quality professional learning systems that will increase the professional capacity of educators that are aligned to the district’s plan and objectives.
- Develop networks and partnerships to facilitate new teacher mentoring opportunities and systems of support.