About the Treasurer - Tax Collector Office
The purpose of the Treasurer - Tax Collector's Office is to collect taxes and invest the proceeds on behalf of the County, schools and special districts. The Office is also responsible for the billing and management of County business licenses.
Significant Accomplishments for Fiscal Year 2022-23:
- We continued cross training staff and now have a well-trained, very dedicated staff, able and willing to share and assist in responsibilities and daily duties of the department.
- We earned a high rate of return on our portfolio by moving liquid funds into CAMP, which is currently earning 5.15%, and we are on track to earn over $6,000,000.00 in interest for Calander year 2023.
- Approximately $3,000,000.00 in taxes were collected via alternative IVR and WEB payment options.
- We continued all critical functions and were able to keep the department open and in operation though Covid-19.
Goals & Objectives for Fiscal Year 2023-24:
- Provide superior customer service to the constituents of Colusa County and to our co-workers.
- Continue to look for ways to become more efficient while still providing quality work and remaining cognizant of potential security issues.
- Provide tax payers a payment alternative which would allow them to make monthly payments via a third party vendor, “EasySmartPay”.
- Retain well trained, dedicated staff in this period of labor shortages.
- Retain best public official status.
Summary of Major Budget Changes:
- We will see a slight increase in budget for fiscal year 23/24 due the continued increased cost of mandatory services; postage, publications, banking and professional services. We are required to print and mail tax bills, publish a minimum of six public notices and with the closure of US bank, we have had to retain the services of Loomis, whom we pay not only a monthly service fee that increased by 15% January 1, 2023, but also surcharges for fuel, insurance and wages at varying percentages. US Bank Fees also continue to increase. The upgrade from Megabyte that allows for on-line and IVR payments comes at an annual cost of $3,900 up 5% from 22/23.
- It is crucial that we maintain and increase our training & education and transportation & travel budget. Attending these meetings allows me to meet and interact with other Treasurers as well learn about new investment products.
- We have a small, efficient department. Our “services & supplies” expenses are, on average, less than 14% percentage of our total budget. We have minimal, if any, room to absorb any of the increases within a status quo budget. We have continued to collect approximately 95% of annual property taxes; > 96% unsecured, > 96% of secured to date.