Town of Brewster, Massachusetts
Section II - General Government: 1471 Treasurer/Collector
The Treasurer-Tax Collector is responsible for receipt, investment, and disbursement of all Town funds. The Treasurer’s office:
- Receives all Town funds.
- Handles short and long-term borrowing.
- Manages tax title accounts.
- Pays the Town’s bills, payroll and benefits.
- Processes real estate, personal property, motor vehicle excise, and boat excise bills.
Accomplishments for FY2022
- Assisted Water Department as they implemented their new billing and collections system.
- Worked with Finance Team on Sea Camps Acquisition.
- Worked with Finance Team on maintaining AAA Bond Rating.
- Implemented CRT (Cash Receipts Turnover) module in Vadar.
- Maintained Payroll and Benefits function while having a member of the Department out with a 3 month leave of absence.
- Hired and trained new Department Assistant following retirement of long-term employee.
- Consistently balanced cash and receivables with Accounting Department (including Water Receivables).
- Maintained high tax collection rate.
Goals & Initiatives for FY2023
- Continue to maintain a high tax collection rate.
- Work to have Harpers Payroll Employee Self Service up and running.
- Continue to provide professional development opportunities for staff members.
- Continue to work with the Finance Team on the implementation of Department of Revenue recommendations.
- The budget represents a $39,396 (12.65%) increase over the FY22 budget.
- The expense for our payroll software, Harpers $25,000 was in the IT budget in FY22.
- There is a decrease of $8,000 from a one time FY22 expense - in FY22, we paid for temporary help services through AccountTemps to assist with payroll processing while an employee was on a leave of absence.