Town of Brewster, Massachusetts
Section II - Public Safety: 2201 Fire Department
The Brewster Fire Rescue Department is a professional emergency response organization that preserves life and property through Fire Prevention, Fire Suppression, Medical and Rescue services and promotes public safety through community outreach and education.
Accomplishments for FY2022
- Completed a revised five-year strategic plan.
- Hosted employee flu clinics.
- Delivered COVID testing to Town employees.
- Completed and implemented a revised Community Emergency Management Planning (CEMP) document.
- Assisted in securing $9,000 MIIA Insurance Grant to upgrade Golf Department radio communication capabilities.
- Applied for and received a $178,262.86 Assistance to Firefighter (AFG) Grant to purchase new self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA).
- Applied for and received a $12,500.00 FY 21 State Fire Equipment Grant.
- Applied for and received a $18,460.00 FY 22 State Fire Equipment Grant.
- Applied for and received a $7,172.00 SAFE/Senior SAFE Fire Safety Education Grant.
- Applied for and received a $2,900.00 Emergency Management Performance Grant.
- Applied for and received $76,506.00 in supplemental ambulance revenue through Medicaid Certified Public Expenditures (CPE) program.
- Placed new grant funded cardiac monitors in service.
- Developed specifications for and ordered replacement ambulance.
- Participated in DPW Director and Building Commissioner interview panels.
- Assisted Town Administrator with Union contract negotiations.
- Assisted in the management of the Brewster, Orleans, Chatham, and Harwich (BOCH) Community Emergency Response Team.
Goals & Initiatives for FY2023
- Initiate the operational and administrative components contained in the 2022-2026 Strategic Plan.
- Apply for Assistance to Firefighters Grant (AFG) for Fire Officer and Fire Instructor Training.
- Assist Sea Camps advisory committees with property use and development plan.
- Conduct a Citizens Fire Academy.
- The budget represents a $19,548 (0.65%) increase over the FY22 budget.
- An increase of $4,750 is provided in the Fire Department Dispatch line item, to fund an increase in the annual payment for dispatch services provided by the Barnstable County Sheriffs Communication Center.
- An increase of $5,000 is provided in the EMS Supply Line, due to an increase in cost of medical supplies, and an increase in transports requiring the use of additional medical supplies.
- An increase of $20,000 is provided in the Overtime Wage Line - These funds are being moved from the Call Wage line to the Overtime Wage Line. These funds are being moved from the Call Wage Line to this new line.
- An increase of $20,000 is provided to create a new Wage Line (Paramedic Stipend/Academy Training).
- A decrease of $40,000 is provided in the Call Wage Line - these funds are being transferred from the Call Wage Line to increase the Overtime Wage Line and fund the newly created Paramedic Stipend Line.
- A decrease of $5,000 is provided in the Apparatus and Equipment Maintenance Line. These funds are being transferred from the Apparatus and Equipment Maintenance Line to the EMS Supply Line to support the requested increase in medical supply and medication costs.