Town of Brewster, Massachusetts
Section II - General Government: 1411 Assessing
The Board of Assessors is responsible for the valuation of real and personal property in Brewster for the purpose of levying the property tax. The Board of Assessors maintains a database of all parcels in the town, including the address of the owner, land measurements, and a description of structures, including their quality and condition. Assessors then value property based on a full and fair cash value standard using mass appraisal techniques. The Board has the authority to grant abatements and exemptions.
Accomplishments for FY2022
- Successful completion of FY2022 Value Certification in compliance with Massachusetts Department of Revenue guidelines.
- Worked with Finance Team to achieve a timely Tax Rate Approval from the Department of Revenue.
- Worked with Treasurer/Collector Office to complete a timely Real Estate and Personal Property Tax billing cycle.
- Worked with Treasurer/Collector Office to complete timely Motor Vehicle Excise billing and Boat/Vessel Excise billing.
- Successfully completed Assessors' map and lot updates in compliance with MassGIS standards.
- Along with continued support of the Council on Aging, assisted over 120 seniors, veterans, blind, and disabled residents with real estate tax relief programs.
Goals & Initiatives for FY2023
- Continue to comply with Department of Revenue guidelines to ensure a successful and on-time Interim Year Value Certification.
- Continue to update parcel information and assessor maps in compliance with MassGIS standards.
- Continue to assist qualifying senior, veteran, blind, and disabled residents with real estate tax relief programs.
- Continue to work with the Treasurer/Collector office to ensure accurate and on-time real estate and excise tax billing.
- The budget represents a $13,497 (9.76%) increase over the FY22 budget.
- The increase is due to contractual obligations and the implementation of the Compensation and Class study.