Department Mission Statement
We, the members of the Beaufort Police Department, are committed to being responsive to our community in the delivery of quality services. Recognizing our responsibility to maintain order, while affording dignity and respect to every individual, our objective is to improve the quality of life through a community partnership that promotes safe, secure neighborhoods.
A Safe & Vibrant City
Current Strategic Plan Initiatives for Fiscal Year 2023
Initiative 3.1– Maintain service levels provisions.
- Calls for service levels continue to rise making it increasingly difficult to maintain the community presence we and our residents desire. Measures to stay competitive with other local agencies should help boost manpower allowing for innovative programs and services.
Initiative 3.2– Continue to publish law enforcement and firefighter data on website and social media platforms.
- Expanding our social media presence to include posting on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. Informing the public of emergent information on an enhanced Nixle system. Continue to publish our daily media reports and Demographic information on City website.
Initiative 3.3-Expand PD efforts with Community Response Team.
- Once manpower allows, add two additional officers to the team to reinforce community events like Movies in the Park, Chill with a Cop, and Adopt a School Programs. Intensify Police involvement and interaction at neighborhood association meetings.
Initiative 3.4- Develop strategies for diversity in recruiting.
- Continue to work together with HR and to attend job fairs at area colleges, specifically HBCU’s, and local Military Bases. Create new recruiting video and corroborate with HR on advertising campaigns. Institute new “Interview Now” decals equipped with QR codes that allow prospective candidates quick access to our application process.
Budget Requests Needed to Help Achieve Fiscal Year 2023 Strategic Goal Initiatives
- Raise personnel costs to remain competitive with other agencies in the area and to draw certified officers to join our team. Increasing salaries helps to combat the high cost to live in our community.
- Training Simulator allows us to train officers in scenario based exercises to include de-escalation training, dealing with mentally ill individuals, as well as various tactical situations.
- Addition of two trained Police K-9 units enables us to provide better crime prevention measures and allows for a higher level of service to our citizens. K-9’s will assist officers with tracking, article searches and drug searches.
Category and Reason for any Major Increases in Fiscal Year 2023 Budget
Three Enclosed Trailers
- To replace old trailers in need of replacement.
Two Trained K9’s
- K-9s are an integral part of a Police Department, both in the field and from a community outreach perspective.
APEX Training Simulator
- To provide de-escalation training in house.