Department Mission Statement
Integrate opportunities, geographic constraints, economic necessities, aesthetics, and the health and welfare of our citizens into the long term development outlook for the City.
Economic Development & Innovation
Objective 6: Increase median incomes as we recruit new businesses and industries that are a good fit for Beaufort
Initiative 6.1- Partner with the BCEDC on prospect development, land transactions, and site and building development in Beaufort Commerce Park.
• The department provided technical land use analyses for the Beaufort County Economic Development Corporation. [Speculative Building, Building Pad]
Growth & Natural Resources
Objective 8: Manage growth boundaries
Initiative 8.1- Manage Northern Regional Plan growth boundaries.
• The department is actively participating in annexation requests and zoning analysis.
Objective 9: Manage and encourage infill development
Initiative 9.2- Update the Beaufort Preservation Manual from 1979, known as the Milner Report
- The department is the technical lead for the update of the Beaufort preservation manuals and guides.
Initiative 9.3- Update the survey of above-ground structures in the Historic District.
- The department is participating in the update of the Beaufort preservation manual as well as the above ground survey . (Currently underway with HRB and Meadors)
Current Strategic Plan Initiatives for Fiscal Year 2023
- Implement consultant recommendations on staffing and use of consultants to re-staff the department.
Budget Requests Needed to Help Achieve Fiscal Year 2023 Strategic Goal Initiatives
- Continued partnership for professional architectural services supporting the City’s Historic District Review Board and Design Review Board.
- Includes funds for executive search and consulting fee’s to aid in transition of the department head.
Category and Reason for any Major Increases in Fiscal Year 2023 Budget
- Operating increases related to cost to provide Stormwater Plan Reviews through consulting engineer and Beaufort Code Codification in muni-code in order to increase the usability of the code.
- Consulting fee’s increased with a corresponding increase in revenue to accommodate an increase in permit/project applications.