The Ashland Municipal Court (AMC) provides Ashland with a unique opportunity to have cases heard by a local judge elected by our citizens. It is the judicial branch of the city government, providing a local forum for the resolution of traffic violations, violations of the City Municipal Code, and various misdemeanors (crimes) when they occur within our city limits.
- Staff and the Judge continued to serve our community throughout the pandemic. Clerks were available during regular business hours by phone and email, and in person for specific emergency situations.
- Established Zoom Court which allowed defendants to appear before the Judge virtually.
- Conducted virtual court trials on violations as well as in person jury trials for crimes.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
- Maintain current high levels of customer service.
- Expand current walk-in hours.
SIGNIFICANT CHANGES FROM 2021-2023
- Increase in contract funds for court appointed attorney needs
- Opportunity: Technological upgrades would reduce paper usage, allow for higher productivity, and enable staff to send text reminders for upcoming appearances and payments.
- Challenge: Without more staff (plus .5), AMC would not be able to increase current walk-in hours. In addition, it would be very difficult to maintain a high level of customer service as well as handle the increased work load which full staffing of APD would create.