The Human Resources Department provides guidance and support to all City departments including all aspects of recruitment and staffing, employee onboarding, records management, classification and compensation, policy development, performance management, and employee and labor relations to provide quality service to our community. Through policy direction and training efforts the Human Resources department helps reduce the risk of employment-related legal claims and work-related injuries. The Human Resource department promotes positive labor-management practices and ensures compliance with Federal, State, and local employment laws.
- On-boarded 68 full-time and temporary employees over a 12-month period.
- Reinstated the employee appreciation program.
- Developed the City of Ashland Oregon Paid Leave Equivalent Plan.
- Refocused the City on staff retention through updated compensation and benefit plans.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
- Develop a City-wide performance program.
- Update all personnel policies to ensure compliance with current laws and personnel practices.
- Compensation and class study to ensure pay equity and competitive market wages.
- Streamline the on-boarding of new hires.
- Regular training for all City staff on proper workplace conduct.
SIGNIFICANT CHANGES FROM 2021-2023
- Addition of a Risk Analyst (1FTE)
- Inclusion of $75,000 for a compensation and class study
- Inclusion of DEI Training Funds
- Inclusion of $10,000 for Employee Appreciation events
- Transition of health benefit payments for retirees from dissolved Healthcare fund to Human Resources budget
- Staff recruitment and retention- with retirements and limited appeal of government work the City will need to be innovative to be an employer of choice in the Rogue Valley.
- Continuing to ensure market competitiveness with limited resources.
- Ensuring functional working space for employees