The Mayor and City Council are elected by the citizens of Ashland for a Council/Manager form of government. Under this form of government, the City Council is responsible for setting policy, adopting ordinances, establishing city-wide goals and objectives, and providing a link to City government for citizens and businesses. The City Council supervises the City Manager who is responsible for the day-to-day management and operations of all City-wide services including policy implementation with adherence to the City’s Municipal Code requirements. Additionally, the City Council hires the City Attorney, who is responsible for the interpretation of the City’s Municipal Code, and manages all municipal legal affairs for the City. The Council holds regular meetings and study sessions each month to conduct the business of the City and to hear from Ashland citizens. The Mayor and Council also appoint and serve as liaisons to the many City commissions that advise the Council on policy matters and as liaisons to local and regional organizations.
- Updated and consolidated City Council Advisory Committees.
- Addressed Mayoral and Council vacancies.
- Held two economic development round tables with local business and institutional leaders.
- Adopted City Vision, Values and Priorities.
- Completed the Citizen Budget Survey.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
- Continue training and professional development.
- Support sister city activities and visits.
- Hold an annual end of year recognition event for staff and City Committee volunteers.
- Strong City Council representation in liaison roles.
- Continue to engage with the community in various input processes such as Town Halls.
- Support tax base expansion through the development of vacant land tracks within City limits.
- Explore and support economic development initiatives in cooperations with community partners.
- Focus on affordability and early childhood learning.