Mississippi Library - Fridley
Mississippi Library Overview
Size: The Mississippi Library is 11,007 square feet. The library currently serves an estimated 2.1 people per square foot and has a population of 38,949 Anoka county residents within a 9 minute drive.
Use: In 2018, the library circulated 114,565 items, had 78,707 visits, and averaged 36 visitors per hour. Between 2008 and 2018 the library saw a 35% increase in meeting room usage and a 151% increase in attendance at classes and events.
The library was built in 1974 and remodeled in 1989. Remodeled in 2020:
- Replace carpet and original tile floor
- Upgrade public and staff restrooms, original finishes
- Upgrade staff workroom and kitchenette, original
- Upgrade lighting in meeting room and staff workroom
- Meeting room accessibility before/after hours
- Add acoustic panels to dampen sound
- Replace shelving with lower shelves
- Reconfigure exterior book drop for better functionality
- Repaint Children's Play Space furnishings
Capital Improvement Plan
Capital Equipment Plan
Boundaries: The Mississippi Library serves Anoka County residents in the city of Fridley.
Neighborhood: The library is located in a largely residential area. The City of Fridley, Hayes Elementary School, and Fridley High School are all located close to the library. The library is within walking distance of Metro Transit bus line.
Population: Mississippi Library’s service population has seen growth in the last 8 years from 18,660 in 2010 to an estimated 23,059 in 2018. The service population is estimated to grow to 25,280 in 2030.
as of 5/20/2020
Population Density (sq mi): 2603
Pop Growth 5 yrs (estimated): 0.6%
Average Household Income: $68,827
Median Household Income: $55,516
Average Household Size: 2.41