- As part of the county’s mission to be fiscally responsible, it conducted a review of every county department last year and found Chomonix Golf Course was an area that needed further evaluation.
- The course has been losing money for several years and Anoka County has been using property tax dollars from all residents to significantly subsidize the course.
- The Parks Committee reviewed and discussed the financial analysis and future considerations for Chomonix Golf Course at the January 15, 2019 Parks Committee Meeting.
- Since that meeting, staff and County Commissioners have listened to input from a variety of stakeholders and local officials throughout the community that clearly expressed support for continuing the operation of Chomonix Golf Course.
- As a result, the county is proposing to assess a variety of means to improve the financial standing of the course, including new management and possibly partnering with a professional golf industry consultant.
- The proposal also includes continuing to operate Chomonix Golf Course for at least 3 more years while the county carefully evaluates golf course expenses and revenues with the objective of significantly reducing or eliminating the net operating deficit.
- Park staff will be working closely with many stakeholders throughout the Chomonix Golf community to generate a new sense of enthusiasm, support, and success for Chomonix Golf Course moving forward.
- Lastly, staff will be providing the Park Committee with quarterly updates on golf course operations and financial solvency.
1. Recruit, hire, and train a new Golf Operations Manager.
2. Create a renewed spirit of branding, professional leadership, and outstanding customer service!
3. Seek a professional golf industry consultant to possibly assist with a 3- year strategic plan.
4. Analyze and make needed adjustments in the following areas:
- Food & Beverage;
- Year-Round Banquet Facility Rentals;
- Club House Interior Layout & Function;
- Apparel and Accessories:
- Lessons & Programs;
5. Improve marketing, advertising, and promotions to maximize revenues.
6. Renovate club house restrooms, exterior finishes and update mechanics.
7. Establish a sustainable and fiscally responsible equipment replacement program.
8. Coordinate with Twin Cities Golf.com to discuss a full-service marketing proposal for 2019.
9. Establish a new lease/purchase agreement for the golf cart fleet.